5/17/2006

This just in: two people in Great Britain don't like Arctic Monkeys, record sales slump 0.0006%



When the Arctic Monkeys debut Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not became the fastest selling record in UK history, I was really happy. Granted, I was pretty indifferent about their music, but I was excited to know that there was a band of young, passionate kids out there getting a lot of media attention. It doesn't happen that often, you know? We need more of 'em.

Recently, there have been a few stabs taken at the band, through British hipster bible NME, namely by Razorlight frontman Johnny Borrell (wtf?) and, everyone's favorite lazy-eyed intellegensia, Thom Yorke. Let's see 'em:

NME: Are you better than the Arctic Monkeys?
Borrell: What? Of course we fucking are...If you'd ask me if I felt like a genius compared to them, then yeah, I do.

NME: Why do you think the Arctic Monkeys are selling so many records?
Yorke: The fact that poor Arctic Monkeys are getting so much attention is purely based on the fact that the mainstream music business is such a bunch of fucking retards as far as I'm concerned.

Since Yorke's comments, the band's sales have not stopped skyrocketing. As of May 1st, Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not had sold over a million copies in the UK alone. Not bad for a bunch of college kids, even if the music industry sucks. I don't think there's any denying that, Mr. Yorke, but we're taking one step at a time. K?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home